DAR entry - Miss Alice Cowles Little
Miss Alice Cowles Little.
DAR ID Number: 93302
Born in Janesville, Wis.
Descendant of Capt. Ephraim Guiteau, Sergt. Samuel Cowles, James Howard, Lieut.-Col. William Howard, Samuel Howard, and Sergt. Hopestill Welch, as follows:
1. Thomas Henry Little (1832-75) m. 1862 Sarah Florella Cowles (1838-1912).
2. Rev. Henry Cowles, D. D. (1803-81), m. 1830 Alice Welch (1804-43); Thomas Little (1804-91) m. 1827 Elizabeth Prince Howard (1807-43).
3. Samuel Cowles, Jr. (1771-1845), m. 1800 Olive Phelps (1780-1864); Benjamin Welch (1768-1849) m. 1788 Louisa Guiteau (1769-1816); Samuel Howard (1770-1827) m. 1801 Elizabeth Prince (d. 1854).
4. Samuel Cowles m. 1756 Sybil North (1736-1807); Ephraim Guiteau m. 1762 Phebe Humphrey (1745-1828); William Howard m. 1769 Martha Howard (d. 1785); Hopestill Welch m. 1763 Alice Woodward (1746-1828).
5. James Howard m. Mary ? (d. 1778); Samuel Howard m. Margaret Lithgow (1706-99) (parents of Martha).
[p.95] Ephraim Guiteau (1738-1816) was appointed captain, 1776, of the 7th company, 1st regiment of Berkshire County, Massachusetts militia. He was born in Woodbury; died in Norfolk, Conn.
Also No. 55085.
Samuel Cowles (1735-1815) was a member of the Committee of Safety, and served as sergeant on the Lexington Alarm. He was born in Norfolk, Conn.
Also No. 79629.
James Howard (1702-87) was a member of the Committee of Safety of North Augusta, Me., and was a member of the Court of Sessions which tried the Tories for hostility to the American cause. He served as treasurer, 1777. He was born in Ireland; died in Augusta, Me.
William Howard (1740-1810) was lieutenant-colonel of Maine militia. He was born and died in Augusta, Me.
Also No. 61136.
Samuel Howard (1701-85) was a member of the Committee of Correspondence and Inspection. He was born in Ireland; died in Augusta, Me.
Hopestill Welch (1741-1828) was placed on the pension roll for service as sergeant. He was born in Windham, Conn.; died in Norfolk.